Twitching the Long-tailed Skua
12 September 2006 (revised 25 November 2009) | Marek Walford
CHANGES TO ACCESS
Access has changed since this article was published. Click here for up-to-date access information.
I've had a lot of emails asking about access to Queen Mother Reservoir. To save me sending the same email over and over I've written this article so I have something to point people at. The main points are:
- It is physically impossible to view the reservoir from outside the gates
- Access is for permit holders only
- You are not permitted to walk round the reservoir; you must stay within the sailing club carpark
- You will need an exit swipe card to get back out; these are available by showing your permit at the sailing club
- The reservoir is open from 9am Tuesday to Sunday, closed Monday
- A telescope is essential
How to get a permit
Permits are available from The Wardens Lodge, Thames Water Utilities, Cumnor Road, Farmoor, Oxon, OX2 9NS by sending a SAE and a cheque for £10 made payable to "Thames Water Utilities".
From M4 junction 5 take the third exit off the roundabout onto the A4. After about 150ft at the traffic lights when the road forks take the right fork onto Bath Road. Follow the road and after about 300ft the entrance to the sailing club is on the right.